"The mission of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is to improve the oral, maxillofacial, dental, and craniofacial health of patients through research, service, and education.”
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS) at the MUSC James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine is well known for our committed faculty and successful alumni who have walked our halls and worked in our operating rooms. As a testament to their contributions to the profession for more than half a century, under the leaderships of prominent individuals including Dr. Richard W. DeChamplain and Dr. Durwood Bach, the Department has provided education to thousands of dental students, externs, and residents, and has inspired many to pursue a career in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Advanced Surgical Training Program
The Advanced Training Program in OMS continues the great traditions of education and excellence that were established by Dr. DeChamplain and Dr. Bach. The 3 full-time and 6 part-time faculties are dedicated to providing outstanding care for patients and an unmatched education for the residents and many dental students who visit our program each year.
- To provide the highest quality care using the safest, most effective treatments available in a setting where the patient is our most valuable asset.
- To provide the highest quality education to our clinical personnel based upon evidence-based and cutting-edge procedures.
- To support basic and clinical research which will improve the health of the public. Additionally, we will foster training and career development to yield the talented investigators and clinicians critical to the future of Health care.
MUSC Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Facilities
Our faculty and residents provide outpatient oral and maxillofacial services at two sites on the Medical University of South Carolina Campus:
- James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine
- MUSC Hospital: Clinical Sciences Building (CSB)
Our inpatient surgeries are carried out in both the
- Ashley River Tower (ART Building)
- MUSC Main Hospital