We will comprehensively educate and prepare oral healthcare professionals, capable of applying knowledge gained in general education, biomedical science, and dental science when making health care decisions in a variety of practice settings.
We will produce critical thinkers and lifelong learners who are ethical, socially responsible, and multi-culturally sensitive professionals. Our students, trainees, and residents will have experience in emerging technologies and the skills necessary to adapt to an increasingly complex and rapidly changing interdisciplinary healthcare delivery system.
Create Lifelong Learners Who Understand & Deploy Critical Thinking & Routinely Practice Evidence Based Dentistry
- Routinely perform systematic curriculum reviews focused on critical thinking, technology, and evidence-based dentistry.
- Encourage and support student led research groups.
- Emphasize student self-assessment throughout the curriculum to help students increase self-awareness and problem solving.
- Provide evidence based dentistry education for faculty.
- Incorporate Population/Patient Intervention Comparison Outcome (PICO) / Critically Appraised Topics (CATS) / Evidence Based Dentistry (EBD) teaching across the curriculum, including skills necessary to evaluate clinical research.
Embrace & Leverage Technologies to Improve Health Care Education & Patient Outcomes
- Develop the ability and mechanisms for online and blended courses, fostering professional learning and development of students, faculty, staff, practicing dentists, and other health care workers.
- Incorporate competency-based, self-paced preclinical courses.
Inculcate Ethics & Professional Values in Our Students
- Teach ethics and professional preparation across the curriculum, using case based scenarios.
- Expand our educational offerings in practice management to include business, legal, and work/life issues.
- Model and educate students, residents and trainees to provide exemplary patient centered care.
Develop Practitioners Who Serve as an Integral Part of an Interprofessional (IP) Health Care Team
- Increase participation in University IP initiatives.
- Provide a variety of community based interprofessional rotations for students across the state.
- Ensure accountability of IP through outcomes assessment.
Foster a Culturally Competent & Compassionate Environment of Care Focusing on a Patient Centered & Patient Safe Health Care Experience
- Develop multicultural and cultural competence training across the curriculum.
- Regularly review and practice safety protocols to ensure compliance and understanding.
- Increase the number of international students at the College of Dental Medicine (CDM).
- Ensure a humanistic environment for faculty, staff and students.